ALASKA PTA WELLNESS GRANT AVAILABLE
ALASKA PTA WELLNESS GRANT APPLICATION Available! Download this as a Word Document. Text of the announcement is below.
ALASKA PTA WELLNESS GRANT APPLICATION
Up to $3,500 To Fund Obesity Reduction Ideas
For Local PTAs or Parent Groups.
Obesity and diabetes are on the rise in Alaska, affecting individuals of all ages, from all areas of the state, of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, and with all levels of education and income.
Among Alaska youth and adults:
- Two out of every three adults and one of out of every three kindergarteners are overweight or obese.
- 18% of Anchorage School District students (K-12) were obese in the 2007-2008 school year.
- 75% of obese children become obese adults.
- In 2006, the prevalence of diabetes among obese Alaskans (12.0%) was six times higher than among normal weight Alaskans (1.8%); 3.9% of overweight Alaskans had diabetes.
- In 2006, an estimated 27,155 Alaskans had diabetes, up 63% since 2001.
- 60.7% of Alaskans with diabetes were obese.
Alaska PTA would like to invite parent/community groups or local PTAs to apply for these grants to reduce obesity in your area by improving food choices, reducing screen time and increasing physical activity.
The grant is two-fold:
1) Apply for a grant to fund your idea that reduces screen time, increases physical activity and reduces sugar sweetened beverages to promote the health and wellness of our Alaskan children and
2) Teams of two from each community must attend a two-day training (paid for in full by AK PTA September 28th & 29th) using the WE CAN! (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition) Parent Program. (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan)
Reversing this trend will require a comprehensive community approach that involves local PTAs, parents, community partnerships, schools and the students themselves.
In addition to the application form, you will also find an idea page that lists resources and suggestions to help you in planning your project. Your parent group or PTA may apply for up to, and not to exceed, $3,500 in grant money. Applications must be completed and received by the State PTA office by
April 30, 2012, 2pm to be considered.
Grant applications may be sent electronically, by fax, or by mail.
Mail: P.O. Box 201496 Anchorage, Alaska 99520
Representatives from two of the successful grant applicants will be selected to share their experiences at the State PTA Convention in April 2013; registration and travel expenses will be paid for by the AK PTA Wellness Grant.
If you have questions about filling out the grant, please contact
Sara Peebles: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant forms are available on the Alaska PTA website at http://www.alaskapta.org/wellness.html