Have you ever been the victim of domestic violence or sexual assault? Have you even known a victim of these? Or are you passionate about raising awareness in your community? Well now is the time to stand together against these issues! Choose Respect is hosting a march and potluck on Saturday, March 23rd at the City Building. The march starts at 2:00pm where you will be marching the lower loop, following that will be the potluck at 5:00 pm. If you have any question or would like to volunteer, please call Patricia Curtis @ 383-2742 or Lorna @ 383-4292.
Date: Saturday, March 30th, 2013
Ages: 0-2 years
Where: New Gear Shed
Ages: Preschool, K-3rd, 4th-6th, 7th-12th
Where: At turn to Green Hill
Dress appropriately for the weather!
At the City Gym on Friday, March 29, 2013
For all ages!
Eggs and coloring will be provided, parents come with your little ones!
Job Opening for Temporary Position
Position: Administrative Secretary
Location: Aleutians East Borough School District Office, Sand Point
Dates: March 25 to May 1, 2013
Wages: $16.50 to $20 Depending on Experience
Hours: 8 AM to 1 PM Monday through Friday
High School Diploma
Proficiency in Microsoft WORD and EXCEL
- Serve as the primary receptionist.
- Schedule travel arrangements for the Board and staff.
- File, process, and distribute correspondence, policy manuals, and other materials as needed.
- File and coordinate District communications, including confidential matters.
- Type and transcribe minutes.
- Duplicate and assemble Board packets.
- Serve as the Board’s recording secretary.
- Compile student reports.
- All other duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should supply a Cover Letter and Resume and submit either by e-mail or in-person to the AEBSD Office in Sand Point.
e-mail to Superintendent Tim Stathis: tstathis [at] aebsd [dot] org
Call for questions: 383-5222
Application Closing Date: 5 PM March 20, 2013
Aleutians East Borough School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Teen Center is hosting a St. Patrick’s dance on Thursday, March 14th.
It will be held at the teen night building,
for K-6 it will be from 7-8pm with a $2 entrance fee.
For 7th grade-20yrs it will be from 8-11pm with a $3 entrance fee.
Snacks & Drinks will be sold.
1st and 2nd prizes will be awarded
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013
Location: Sand Point City Gym
Please bring one canned good item to be used in a future project for the elders
For more information or any questions you may have call 386-9801
Aleutian Chain Conference: Boys Regionals
Game 1: 2 PM Wednesday – New Halen Vs Sand Point
Game 2: 5:30 PM Wednesday – St. Paul Vs New Stuyahok
Game 3: 7:30 PM Wednesday – King Cove Vs W1
Game 4: 10:30 AM Thursday
Game 5: 7:30 PM Thursday
Game 6: 5:30 PM Thursday
Game 7: 2 PM Friday
Game 8: 7:30 PM Friday
Game 9: 10:30 AM Saturday (IF NEEDED)
The Pauloff Harbor Tribe will be hosting 3 different AmeriCorps programs this year. The programs consist of Birch, Raven, and Vista. Come satisfy your sweet tooth while listening to the new members explain how they will be serving our community.
Time: 2:30 PM
Saturday, the 16th
Where: QTT Rec Center
Split the pot tickets will be sold, contact Alice or Jasmine @ 383-2487
The Buffalo hunt has been extended to February 16th!
The QTT’s Environmental Department is concerned about the air quality in Sand Point. If you are experiencing any problems due to air quality let them know.
There is a complaint form located on our website : http://www.qttribe.org/Environmental
Once website is opened, click on Air Quality Complaint Form
If you have any questions, please contact Cathy Adams or Karis Porcincula at: (907) 383-6968
Aleutians East Borough School District
Regular Meeting of the School Board
Thursday, January 24, 2013 – 6 p.m.
Location: Sand Point, District Office
All Sites VTC via the Local School
or conference call in at 888-706-6468 code:1824851#
Regular Meeting Agenda
A. Call to Order
B. Pledge of Allegiance
C. Roll Call & Establishment of Quorum
D. Others in Attendance
ACTION E. Approval of Agenda
II. Approval of Minutes
ACTION A. Regular Meeting, December 10, 2012
B. Special Meeting, January 9, 2013
INFORMATION III. Recognitions: Former Superintendent, Phil Knight
INFORMATION IV. Public Comments
INFORMATION V. Student Report
Fisheries and College Exploration (Oregon): Edwin Gunderson, Jolan Rotter
INFORMATION VI. Superintendent’s Report
A. Superintendent Report
B. District Correspondence
INFORMATION VII. Business Manager’s Report
ACTION A. Budget Revision
INFORMATION VIII. Department Reports
A. Technology, Luke Meinert
B. Activities Report, Luke Meinert
C. Tobacco Prevention Program, George Cromer
IX. Unfinished Business
INFORMATION A. Special Education Director Position
X. New Business
ACTION A. Grant Writing Services Contracts
ACTION B. Adoption of Board Goals
ACTION C. Adoption of Superintendent Goals
ACTION D. 2013-14 School Calendar
INFORMATION E. Legislative Fly-in
XI. Executive Session
INFORMATION XII. Board Member Comments
INFORMATION XIII. Agenda Items for Next Meeting
INFORMATION XIV. Date, Time & Location of Next Meeting
ACTION XV. Adjournment
School Board Workshop
Thursday, January 24, 2013 – 3:00 PM
Location: Sand Point, District Office
All Sites VTC via Local School
conference call in at 888-706-6468 code:1824851#
* Grant Writing Proposal Review
* Board/Superintendent Goals
* 2013-14 School Calendar
* Budget Revision Review
The City of Sand Point is accepting applications for the following full-time, permanent position:
POSITION: Water & Wastewater Operator
DEADLINE: Open until filled
General Position Summary and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Water & Sewer Director & Public Works Director, the Water/Sewer Operator assumes full responsibility and authority of the city-owned water and wastewater systems – this includes the planning, coordinating and implementation of all activities of the water and wastewater programs and infrastructure. In addition, this position has primary responsibility for all repair and maintenance needs of the city water and wastewater infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the required testing to ensure safe drinking water for the community.
- Insures the proper backwash of filters and insures maintenance of other related equipment in the water and wastewater plant as required.
- Maintains logs, reports and records of the water and wastewater treatment operations.
- Assists and oversees that pipes, lines, pumps, filters, hypochlorinators, meters and other related equipment associated with the operations of the water and wastewater treatment facilities are in accurate operable condition.
- Insures the submission of required water samples to a test laboratory as required by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
- Is knowledgeable of and adheres to the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) regulations, practices and procedures as they pertain to water and wastewater operations.
- Assists in the public education on water consumption (excessive) and related water and wastewater issues.
8. Assists with developing departmental plans, goals and objectives.
9. Assists the Public Works Department as required.
10. Works independently when appropriate and/or required to do so.
11. Responds to routine and/or emergency calls for assistance from the Mayor, City Administrator, Public Works Director, citizens and others.
12. Establishes and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other employees, external agencies, and the public.
13. Performs other duties as assigned by the Mayor, City Administrator or Public Works Director.
14. This position may require overtime hours. Department heads may schedule overtime or extra shifts when necessary. Employee may not work overtime without the prior approval of their supervisor.
15. Basic computer skills.
16. Must be able to lift 70 lbs.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- In employee first year, must travel and attend training for Water Distribution Provisional required by State of Alaska, DEC, to become an operator, Alaska Certified in Water/Wastewater. Each and every year, travel & training is required.
- Mathematical ability to perform required testing.
- Knowledge of pumps and meters.
- Valid Alaska Drivers License and good driving record.
- Oral and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
1. First aide and CPR training w/certification
If interested, please contact Jade Cromer, City Clerk at 383-2696 or by e-mail at sptcity [at] arcitc [dot] net.
THE CITY OF SAND POINT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
THE CITY OF SAND POINT IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE ALL EMPLOYEES ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE A MANDATORY DRUG TEST.