Aleutians East Agenda Assembly Meeting
PDF: Agenda (110KB) – Agenda+Packet (3MB)
(packet available on website www.aleutianseast.org)
Date: Thursday, December 14, 2017
Meeting Time: 3:30 p.m. (no workshop)
Anchorage office building (3380 C St.) and by teleconference in each designated community location below:
King Cove AEB office
False Pass-city office
Sand Point – AEB office
Akutan -city office
Nelson Lagoon Corp.
Cold Bay Library
All communities will be provided with conference calling information for the designated location in your community. Public comments on agenda items will take place immediately after the adoption of the agenda. Additional public comments can be made at the end of the meeting.
ASSEMBLY MEETING AGENDA
1. Roll Call & Establishment of Quorum.
2. Adoption of the Agenda.
3. Swearing in newly appointed Assembly Member, Chris Emrich.
3. Community Roll Call and Public Comment on Agenda Items.
– November 9, 2017 Assembly Meeting Minutes.
6. Consent Agenda.
– Resolution 18-13, authorizing the mayor to negotiate and execute a contract agreement with Hickey and Associates for lobbying/consulting services for 2018.
– Resolution 18-14, adopting an alternative allocation method for the FY18 Shared Fisheries Business Tax Program for FMA 2.
– Resolution 18-15, adopting an alternative allocation method for the FY18 Shared Fisheries Business Tax Program for FMA 3.
– Resolution 18-16, recognizing Ken McHugh for his years of service as an Assembly Member.
– Introduction Ordinance 18-02, adding new Chapter 2.18.010, Borough Administrator. (more…)
8:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Communication Discussion
– GCI – Presenter: Dan Boyette, Vice President, Wireless Services
– TelAlaska – Presenter: Dave Goggins, President
9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. Break
9:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Fisheries Discussion
– Peter Pan Seafoods – Presenter: Dale Schwarzmiller, Vice President Alaska Production
– Trident Seafoods – Presenter: Joe Plesha, Chief Legal Officer or Stefanie Moreland, Director of Governmental Relations and Seafood Sustainability
– Aleutia – Presenter: Karen Montoya, Executive Director
10:30 a.m. – 11:15a.m. Transportation Discussion
– Pen Air – Presenter: Danny Seybert, CEO
– Grant Aviation – Presenter: Austin Engebretson, Vice President of Airline Operations
11:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Break
11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
– Aleutians East Borough School District Presentation – Presenter: Michael Seifert, Superintendent
– Eastern Aleutian Tribes Presentation – Presenter: Jennifer Harrison, CEO
12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. Lunch (provided)
12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Borough Financial Presentation
– Alaska Permanent Capital Management – Presenter: Blake Phillips, CFA
– Newhouse & Vogler – Presenter: Jim Newhouse, CPA, Manager
– State Budget Discussion – Presenter: Mark Hickey, Borough Lobbyist
1:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Break
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Community Presentations
– Akutan – Presenter: Joe Bereskin, Mayor
– Cold Bay – Presenter: Dailey Schaack, Mayor
– False Pass – Presenter: Chris Emrich, Administrator/Clerk
3:30 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. Break
3:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Community Presentations
– King Cove – Presenter: Dave Bash, Council Member
– Nelson Lagoon – Presenter: Samantha McNeley, Bookkeeper
– Sand Point – Presenter: Glen Gardner Jr, Mayor and Tiffany Jackson, Executive Director of the Qagan Tayagungin Tribe (more…)
Aleutians East Borough School District
P.O. Box 429, Sand Point, Alaska 99661
Ph. 907-383- 5222 FAX 907-383- 3496
Serving the children in the Alaskan communities of: Akutan, False Pass, King Cove, and Sand Point www.aebsd.org
Michael Seifert, Superintendent
Aleutians East Borough School District
Special Meeting of the School Board – Tuesday, November 14, 2017 @ 6:00 pm
Regular Meeting will be held at the District Office – Video Conference at all School Sites
Reminder: Deadline Approaching
Aleutians East Borough to Sponsor Young Fishers to Summit
The Aleutians East Borough Natural Resources Department will sponsor local fishers to
attend the Alaska Young Fishermen’s Summit, AYFS VII in Anchorage on December
Reminder: AEB Fishermen’s Meeting
During the Pacific Marine Expo
Friday, November 17, 2017 10AM (more…)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Act as the Aleutians East Borough’s Maintenance
Director for the facilities within the Borough and is required to perform all of the major duties
outlined in the job description. These include but are not limited to: Responsible for the
maintenance and proper operation and care of Borough facilities and the regular inspections of
local facilities. The job description is available at www.aleutianseast.org.
DESIRED QUALITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: KNOWLEDGE OF school
facilities and mechanical systems. KNOWLEDGE OF furnaces, boilers, generators, fire control
systems, sprinkler systems, and locksmithing. CONSTRUCTION FOREMAN ABILITY: Can
supervise skilled and unskilled labor in the repair and/or replacement of facilities or broken
equipment, room additions, roof repair/replacement or siding repair/replacement. ORGANIZED
IN PURCHASE AND MANAGEMENT of building materials and maintenance supplies.
ABILITY to work independently with a minimum amount of direction.
HOURLY RATE: Depends on experience.
APPLICATIONS: Interested candidates should complete an Aleutians East Borough
Application for Employment (available at http://www.aleutianseast.org/index.asp?SEC=83961566-
8924-4BEF-A3A3-3C9FB14EC250&Type=B_BASIC and submit the application, a cover letter and
Assistant Borough Administrator
Aleutians East Borough
3380 C Street, Suite 205
Anchorage, AK 99503
Application packets may be hand-carried or mailed to above address, faxed to (907) 276-7569, or
emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: Applications are due on November 8, 2017.
Note: Incomplete application packets will be summarily rejected
November 1, 2017
The Aleutians East Borough invites you to attend a public meeting to share your thoughts and ideas on the City of Sand Point’s wants and needs and how the Borough and City can work together to reach common goals.
The information gathered will be presented at the Aleutians East Borough Planning Work Session in Anchorage on December 13-15, 2017 and will be used to help finalize a Borough Strategic Plan.
For more information contact:
Anne Bailey or Mary Tesche
Anchorage Borough Office
Attention waterfowl hunters: for the first time in 30 years, Alaska residents have the opportunity to harvest an Emperor Goose this fall. To participate in this hunt, you must obtain a registration permit, available online at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website, at a Fish and Game office, or from a local permit vendor. Emperor goose hunts are available for 7 different areas, each with their own registration permit, so be sure to obtain the correct permit for your area. The bag limit is 1 Emperor Goose per hunter this fall, and all hunts are subject to closure by emergency order once harvest quotas have been met. Successful hunters must report their harvest within 72 hours, either online at the Fish and Game website or by phone at 1-800-478-SHOT. Sponsored by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and this station.
The Aleutians East Borough invites you to attend a public meeting to share your thoughts and ideas on your communities wants and needs and how the Borough and communities can work together to reach common goals. For more information contact: Anne Bailey or Mary Tesche at (907) 274‐7555.
City of Cold Bay – October 16, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. – Cold Bay Community Center
City of False Pass – October 17, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. – Larsen Center
City of Nelson Lagoon – October 17, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. – Community Center
City of King Cove – October 17, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. – Alex & Mattie Samuelson Office
City of Akutan – October 24, 2017 at 1:30 p.m. – Akutan Tribal Office
City of Sand Point – October 24, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. – City Chambers
Stream it (HTML5):
Aleutians East Borough Election Write Up!
The Election results are in across the Aleutians East Borough and while many of the elections are settled, one is still too close to call.
The position of mayor for Aleutians East Borough shows Alvin Osterback in the lead by a narrow 12 votes, with 76 absentee ballots still to be counted.
Other races still up for grabs with the absentee count include:
Borough Assembly Seat F where Josy Shangin leads Bill Dushkin by 42 votes, and School District seat D, which shows Jacki Brandell in the lead of Arlene Gundersen by 45 votes.
All incumbents for the various city councils ran unopposed and retain their seats, and the Mayoral race in Sand Point currently has Glen Gardner ahead of the nearest candidate by 47 votes. 60 ballots still remain to be counted for the City of Sand Point before that race becomes final.
The City of Sand Point had a 53% voter turnout for the election, based on the 473 eligible voters. Compare that to the 58% that voted in the most recent Presidental election between Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton.
All the election numbers can be seen at our website, www.apradio.org