Job Opening for the CIty
The City of Sand Point is accepting applications for the following full-time, permanent position:
POSITION: Water & Wastewater Operator
DEADLINE: Open until filled
General Position Summary and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Water & Sewer Director & Public Works Director, the Water/Sewer Operator assumes full responsibility and authority of the city-owned water and wastewater systems – this includes the planning, coordinating and implementation of all activities of the water and wastewater programs and infrastructure. In addition, this position has primary responsibility for all repair and maintenance needs of the city water and wastewater infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the required testing to ensure safe drinking water for the community.
- Insures the proper backwash of filters and insures maintenance of other related equipment in the water and wastewater plant as required.
- Maintains logs, reports and records of the water and wastewater treatment operations.
- Assists and oversees that pipes, lines, pumps, filters, hypochlorinators, meters and other related equipment associated with the operations of the water and wastewater treatment facilities are in accurate operable condition.
- Insures the submission of required water samples to a test laboratory as required by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
- Is knowledgeable of and adheres to the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) regulations, practices and procedures as they pertain to water and wastewater operations.
- Assists in the public education on water consumption (excessive) and related water and wastewater issues.
8. Assists with developing departmental plans, goals and objectives.
9. Assists the Public Works Department as required.
10. Works independently when appropriate and/or required to do so.
11. Responds to routine and/or emergency calls for assistance from the Mayor, City Administrator, Public Works Director, citizens and others.
12. Establishes and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other employees, external agencies, and the public.
13. Performs other duties as assigned by the Mayor, City Administrator or Public Works Director.
14. This position may require overtime hours. Department heads may schedule overtime or extra shifts when necessary. Employee may not work overtime without the prior approval of their supervisor.
15. Basic computer skills.
16. Must be able to lift 70 lbs.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- In employee first year, must travel and attend training for Water Distribution Provisional required by State of Alaska, DEC, to become an operator, Alaska Certified in Water/Wastewater. Each and every year, travel & training is required.
- Mathematical ability to perform required testing.
- Knowledge of pumps and meters.
- Valid Alaska Drivers License and good driving record.
- Oral and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
1. First aide and CPR training w/certification
If interested, please contact Jade Cromer, City Clerk at 383-2696 or by e-mail at sptcity [at] arcitc [dot] net.
THE CITY OF SAND POINT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
THE CITY OF SAND POINT IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE ALL EMPLOYEES ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE A MANDATORY DRUG TEST.