Text courtesy Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association, Inc.:
To purchase this book online, go to our store: https://www.apiai.org/product/traditional-foods-recipes/
Qaqamiig^ux^ is a compilation of the stories, experiences, recipes, and wisdom shared by elders, food preparers, and hunters from the Aleutian and Pribilof Islands Region of Alaska about the use of traditional / local foods, from the land and sea. Literally translated, qaqamiigux means to hunt or fish for food and collect plants, or subsistence, in Unangam tunuu (M. Dirks, 2014). This book is a cultural, historical, and nutritional tribute to the traditional foods from the region.
Some of the highlights of this book include:
– hundreds of words in Unangam tunuu
– traditional values and stories
– historic and contemporary information on harvesting, preserving, and preparing traditional foods
– beautiful historic photos from collections worldwide
hundreds of recipes
– nutrition information for every traditional food, when available, including colorful graphics highlighting the nutritional value in comparison to store-bought foods
– information on the role traditional foods play in the prevention of dietary-related diseases
Author: Suanne Unger
Publisher: Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association, Inc.
This Item can also be purchased from Amazon as an eBook, Follow the link below to be taken to the Amazon web site.